Taproom Assistant General Manager
The mission of Land-Grant is to bring our Ohio community together by building customer connections through our passion toward the craft, quality, and creativity of our beers and experiences. We build those connections by taking the lead in creating an inclusive and welcoming craft beer culture.
Land-Grant is searching for an Assistant General Manager who will embody our core values of: Operate with Integrity, Perform with Pride, Cultivate the Community, Foster Creativity & Fun and Pursue with Passion – these (5) values are central to everything LG. As an On-Shift Manager for Land-Grant, you are responsible for assisting and helping create a welcoming, safe, inclusive and professional atmosphere for our customers and staff.
Taproom Assistant General Manager Responsibilities
- Setting a welcoming, appropriate, and professional tone for staff communication and dynamics; is informed and up-to-date on the Taproom and company offerings, products, services, policies, and events.
- Maintaining a fun, inclusive, welcoming, and safe atmosphere for our Customers and Employees.
- Sets the culture (with the GM) and the pace for the Taproom – always looking for ways to improve.
- Assists the GM in the day-to-day operations for both the Taproom and Beer Garden (loss prevention, culture, profitability).
- You welcome the broad scope & responsibilities of working at Land-Grant (we are more than a bar!) and engage an all-in attitude for the Taproom, Beer Garden, Community Events and large Connection Events – this fuels you.
- Drives an employee-friendly and positive work environment and has the ability to coach and encourage team members to execute the mission of Land-Grant while leading a shift.
- Role Model for outstanding service, maintaining a positive attitude, and striving to keep morale high on shift.
- Always looking to add elements of surprise and celebration to the Taproom culture (staff/customers) – creates raving fans.
- Proactive in solving customer escalations and finding a solution.
- Helps manage and welcome guests for Kickstarter room parties, showers, reservations while on shift.
- Takes the lead in diffusing situations between customers or staff members to prevent possible safety or legal issues, removing unruly persons, when managing a shift.
Training and Coaching
- Helps on-board and train new hires – is passionate about helping others exceed expectations and is a good listener.
- Manages all cash handling procedures on-shift (void, comp, pay out) – follows our procedures and assures compliance.
- Establishes effective and positive communication to help inform and make sure everyone is up-to-date on the taproom and company offerings, products, promotions, services, policies, and events.
- Assist the Taproom GM in the training of all team members on our products, services, and customer experience.
- Observe pour levels, glassware servings, and offer recommendations for training and improvement in processes for improving inventory loss.
- Weekly assisting the GM with all dry goods, liquor, and office supply ordering (managing par levels).
- Assist the GM with the creation of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPS) and process for operations of the beer garden and taproom.
- Ensures that our POS is updated with current offerings of new beers/merchandise – helps the staff see the value of up-selling these items.
- Makes sure taproom policies, procedures, and cleanliness standards are met on every shift – loves creating “order” and process.
- Assists in hitting labor budget goals by leading and improving our scheduling and cutting processes – keeps an eye on the metrics.
- Assist the GM in planning and executing all sales promotions to drive growth and revenue.
- Promotes and practices safe work habits, reports safety hazards, operational inconsistencies and documents taproom incidents for the Taproom Operations Manager.
- Train up and be able to help with trivia, music, audio, gamewatches in the beer garden or taproom when needed.
Taproom & Beer Garden Ambience & Aesthetics
- Managing and evaluating: Sound levels, TVs/Screens, Signage (Posters, Digital Boards, Table Tents, etc.)
- Upkeep and cleanliness of the entire area(s) (paint, graffiti, broken stools, bathroom items, umbrellas, etc.)
- Manages the Seasonal Strategy for customer engagement (reservations, activities, etc.).
Reservation, Tour, and Event Management
- Works in coordination w/LG Events Manager, Community Manager and Marketing to execute programming needs.
- Manages Taproom communications, works with groups (smaller parties) and staffs weekly tours (Saturdays).
- Manage the coordination for all special events hosted at the Taproom while keeping a calendar of booked events.
- Coordinate (informs) with Marketing/Design to assist in the promotion and execution of these events.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to resolve conflicts, assess customer and employee needs, and evaluate customer satisfaction.
- Works well with diverse personalities of both our staff and customers.
- Willingness to work during peak hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays – could close 2-4 days/week (pending GM/CEL schedules).
- Ability to walk, stand, and occasionally carry heavy items for long periods of time in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to safely lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Cicerone Certified Beer Server® required within 6 months of hire
- ServSafe Certification required
Full-Time Position Benefits
- Medical/Dental Coverage
- Performance-based incentive plan
- Paid training and development
- Paid time off
At Land-Grant, we welcome people (and dogs) from all walks of life. Anyone, regardless of their race, creed, nation of origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, veteran status, marital status, or age has a home here. Our “All Welcome” mantra means that love, progress, and acceptance will always have a seat at our bar.
Land-Grant Core Values
Operate with Integrity – be ethical, honest and respectful – always thinking about the well-being, safety, and satisfaction of both our employees and our customers.
Perform with Pride – take ownership and accountability for the quality of our work, our products and our experiences.
Cultivate the Community – be an inclusive, welcoming workplace, business and brand that invests in our partners, relationships and neighbors to strengthen connections.
Foster Creativity & Fun – center all efforts (design, brewing, experiences) around innovation, originality and enjoyment for our customer and each other.
Pursue with Passion – align individual skills and passions with the Land-Grant brand, while engaging with a team-first mentality to collectively achieve something greater than ourselves.